The dictionary defines aerobics as “with oxygen”. The aerobic workouts help increase the supply of oxygen to your cardiovascular system, which includes the heart, lungs and blood vessels. Thus aerobics strengthen the heart and lungs. These also help increase the individual’s fitness and stamina. So, with increased aerobic fitness, you will able to work more effectively and passionately and for longer time periods.
There are many other benefits of aerobic exercises which are given below in this article…
Aerobic workouts involve rhythmic exercising of the large muscle groups. For best results, you must perform the aerobic routines in the following sequence:
- warm up
- at-least 60 minutes of aerobic exercise
- cool down
Benefits of Aerobic Exercises
Aerobics help strengthening the heart and lungs. But these have many additional benefits too.
- Aerobic workout helps increasing your energy and your resistance to fatigue.
2. Aerobic fitness helps you improve your mood, and reduce the anxiety and stress.
3. You will also get a better sleep, if you do your aerobic workouts. But of-course, these should not be done just before going to bed. There should be a gap of 2 to 3 hours between exercises and the sleep.
4. Another major benefit is that your body fats will get reduced, if you perform exercise and have a good diet plan.
5. Aerobics increases the concentration of high-density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) and decreases the concentration of low-density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) in your blood.
6. Aerobics help you in increasing your metabolism.
Frequency, Duration and Intensity for Aerobics Exercise
Frequency refers to how many days you do an aerobic activity. Duration means how much time is to be spent in each aerobic session and intensity refers to how difficult the exercise should be.
For adults it is best, if they perform aerobic exercises at least 5 days (7 days is better) a week. Each session must have a span of at least 30 minutes and must be of moderate intensity.
Moderate intensity exercises include, walking briskly, swimming, dancing and bicycling. The vigorous exercises will be running, jogging, walking with some weight, and bicycling uphill etc.
How Many Calories You Burn When You Exercise?
The number of calories you burn depend on certain factors which include your weight, the activities or exercises you are performing, and the intensity of these exercises. You will burn more calories, if you exercise more vigorously and more often.
The following table shows how much calories are burnt by some of the activities mentioned above:
|Activity and calories/minute||120 pounds||140 pounds||160 pounds||180 pounds|
|Cycling (10 mph)||5.5||6.4||7.3||8.2|
Bringing Aerobic exercises in your daily life
Before you begin the exercises, consult your doctor. If he allows you, you may begin. Start with 5 to 10 minutes of walking in morning and the evening. Add a few minutes to it on daily basis. And also increase your pace a little, daily. In a few days, you will be walking at a brisk pace for at least 30 minutes daily. Then, you will start enjoying all the benefits, aerobic exercises have to offer.Do not exercise too hard in the beginning. If you feel like getting tired or fainting, slow your exercises down. The activity you have selected must match your personality so that you could get fun and enjoyment out of it. Also you need to have to ensure you safety. You will need the proper shoes for the activities you perform. Also you should breathe appropriately.